Venlafaxine XR for Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Three studies have looked at venlafaxine XR as a treatment for generalized anxiety disorder. In one short-term (eight weeks) study and two long-term (six months) studies, people taking venlafaxine XR showed greater improvements in their anxiety symptoms than people who did not take venlafaxine XR.
Venlafaxine XR for Panic Disorder
In previous studies of venlafaxine XR for panic disorder, people taking venlafaxine XR were more likely to be free of panic attacks than people who did not take venlafaxine XR. Also, venlafaxine XR was effective at preventing panic disorder relapses.
Venlafaxine XR for Social Anxiety Disorder
Two studies have looked at venlafaxine XR for social anxiety disorder treatment. These studies showed that venlafaxine XR to be effective at treating social anxiety disorder symptoms.
When and How to Take Venlafaxine XRSome general considerations for when and how to take venlafaxine XR include:
- Venlafaxine XR comes in capsule and tablet form. The medicine is taken by mouth once a day.
- Be sure to swallow venlafaxine XR whole (do not crush, break, or chew the capsules or tablets).
- For people who have trouble swallowing, venlafaxine XR capsules may be opened and the contents sprinkled on a spoonful of applesauce. Immediately swallow the applesauce whole without chewing. This is not possible with the tablets.
- It is recommended that you take venlafaxine XR with food.
- Venlafaxine XR should be taken at the same time each day to maintain even levels of the drug in your blood.
- For venlafaxine XR to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Venlafaxine XR will not work if you stop taking it.