Viibryd Side Effects
In clinical studies, most people tolerated Viibryd well. However, up to 28 percent of people taking the antidepressant experienced diarrhea as a side effect. Other common reactions included nausea, dizziness, and insomnia. Typically, side effects of Viibryd are minor -- if they occur, they tend to be easy to treat. If you develop dangerous problems, such as hallucinations or seizures, seek immediate medical attention.
Just like any medicine, Viibryd™ (vilazodone) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in many cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Viibryd. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects of ViibrydViibryd has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, one group of people received the real medication, while another group was given a placebo (a "sugar pill" with no active ingredients). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they occurred, and how they compared to the group not taking the medication.
In clinical studies, the most common Viibryd side effects included:
- Diarrhea -- in up to 28 percent of people
- Nausea -- up to 23 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 9 percent
- Dry mouth -- up to 8 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 6 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 5 percent
- Abnormal dreams -- up to 4 percent
- Sexual problems (see Viibryd and Sexual Side Effects) -- up to 4 percent
- Lack of energy or tiredness (fatigue) -- up to 4 percent.
Other common side effects seen with Viibryd (occurring in 2 to 3 percent of people) included:
- Restlessness, including restless legs syndrome
- Indigestion or heartburn
- Irritated stomach and intestines
- Sensations of tingling, pricking, or numbness
- Joint pain
- Shakiness (tremor)
- Increased appetite
- Feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart (heart palpitations).