Wellbutrin SR and Dry Mouth: An Overview
Dry mouth is one of the most common side effects of Wellbutrin SR®
). In previous studies, dry mouth was reported in up to 24 percent of people who took Wellbutrin
SR, compared to 7 percent of people who were not taking Wellbutrin SR. People taking higher Wellbutrin SR doses were more likely to have a dry mouth.
Wellbutrin SR and Dry Mouth: Recommendations
If you are taking Wellbutrin SR and dry mouth becomes a problem, there are a number of things that you can do. Some of these suggestions include:
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier. It may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoiding drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Avoiding tobacco or alcohol. They dry out the mouth.
- Using a humidifier at night.
- Being aware of spicy or salty foods. These may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum or sucking on sugarless, hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon- or mint-flavored candies are good choices.