Wellbutrin SR and Insomnia
In previous studies, insomnia was reported as one of the more common side effects of Wellbutrin SR. If you are taking Wellbutrin SR and insomnia becomes a problem, you can try improving your sleep habits by keeping a regular sleep-wake cycle and avoiding caffeine before bedtime, among other things. You should also be sure to talk to your healthcare provider if you develop insomnia while on Wellbutrin SR. He or she may recommend adjusting your Wellbutrin SR dosage or trying a different medication.
Wellbutrin SR and Insomnia: An IntroductionInsomnia is the one of the more common side effects of Wellbutrin SR® (bupropion SR). In previous studies, up to 16 percent of people reported insomnia as a Wellbutrin SR side effect. People taking higher Wellbutrin SR doses were more likely to experience insomnia.
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Waking up often during the night and having trouble going back to sleep
- Waking up too early in the morning
- Having unrefreshing sleep.
Wellbutrin SR and Insomnia: SuggestionsSome people taking Wellbutrin SR find that improving their sleep habits can be an effective cure of insomnia. Some tips for better sleep include:
- Keeping a regular sleep-wake cycle. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
- Avoiding caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine in the four to six hours before bedtime.
- Avoiding exercise within two hours of bedtime. Exercising five or six hours before bedtime may help you sleep more soundly.
- Avoiding large meals within two hours of bedtime.
- Napping no later than 3 p.m.
- Sleeping in a dark, quiet room at a comfortable temperature.
- Doing a quiet activity somewhere else if you can't fall asleep within 20 minutes. Return to bed when you're sleepy.
- Winding down in the 30 minutes before bedtime with a relaxing pre-sleep ritual, such as a warm bath, soft music, or reading.
(Click Good Sleep Habits for more suggestions.)