Wellbutrin SR Dosage
The recommended starting Wellbutrin SR dosage for treating depression is 150 mg once daily in the morning. The maximum Wellbutrin SR dosages are 400 mg total per day for most people, and 100 mg once daily (or 150 mg every other day) for people with liver problems. Your age and other drugs you may be taking are among the factors that can affect Wellbutrin SR dosing. You should not adjust your Wellbutrin SR dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Wellbutrin SR Dosage: An IntroductionThe dose of Wellbutrin SR® (bupropion SR) your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your Wellbutrin SR dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Wellbutrin SR Dosing for DepressionThe recommended starting Wellbutrin SR dose for depression is Wellbutrin SR 150 mg once daily in the morning. As soon as the fourth day, your healthcare provider may increase your dose to Wellbutrin SR 150 mg twice daily. To help avoid seizures, each individual dose should not exceed 200 mg, and you should not take more than 400 mg total per day. Also, your healthcare provider should increase your dose slowly.
For people with liver problems (such as liver failure or cirrhosis), the maximum Wellbutrin SR dose is Wellbutrin SR 100 mg once daily or 150 mg every other day.
General Wellbutrin SR Dosing InformationSome considerations for people taking Wellbutrin SR include:
- It usually takes four weeks (or longer) to feel the full beneficial effects of Wellbutrin SR. Therefore, try not to be discouraged if Wellbutrin SR does not work right away for you.
- When taking Wellbutrin SR twice daily, you should make sure that there is at least eight hours in between doses.
- It does not matter if you take Wellbutrin SR with or without food. If Wellbutrin SR bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Be sure to swallow Wellbutrin SR tablets whole. The tablets should not be cut, broken, chewed, or crushed.
- Wellbutrin SR should be taken at the same times each day to maintain even levels of the drug in your blood.
- For Wellbutrin SR to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Wellbutrin SR will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Wellbutrin SR dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Wellbutrin SR without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.