Wellbutrin SR Side Effects
Even though most people have no problems when taking Wellbutrin SR, it is still possible to experience side effects, such as headaches, dry mouth, and weight loss. In many cases, side effects are minor and can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. However, there are some more serious side effects of Wellbutrin SR that you should report to your healthcare provider, including suicidal thoughts, seizures, and hallucinations.
Wellbutrin SR Side Effects: An IntroductionAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Wellbutrin SR® (bupropion SR). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If Wellbutrin SR side effects occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Wellbutrin SR. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Wellbutrin SR side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of Wellbutrin SRWellbutrin SR has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, some of the most common side effects of Wellbutrin SR included:
- Headaches -- in up to 26 percent of people
- Dry mouth -- up to 24 percent of people (see Wellbutrin SR and Dry Mouth)
- Weight loss -- up to 19 percent of people (see Wellbutrin SR and Weight Loss)
- Nausea -- up to 18 percent of people
- Insomnia -- up to 16 percent of people (see Wellbutrin SR and Insomnia)
- Dizziness -- up to 11 percent of people
- A sore throat -- up to 11 percent of people
- Constipation -- up to 10 percent of people
- Infections -- up to 9 percent of people
- Abdominal pain (or stomach pain) -- up to 9 percent of people
- Agitation -- up to 9 percent of people
- Diarrhea -- up to 7 percent of people
- The sensation of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart (palpitations) -- up to 6 percent of people
- Muscle pain -- up to 6 percent of people
- Anxiety -- up to 6 percent of people
- Shakiness (tremors) -- up to 6 percent of people
- Increased sweating -- up to 6 percent of people
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus) -- up to 6 percent of people.
Some other common side effects (occurring in 1 to 5 percent of people) included:
- A loss of appetite
- Frequent urination, bladder infections, or other urinary problems
- Flushing (redness of the skin, especially the face)
- Migraine headaches
- Joint pain or arthritis
- Taste changes
- Hot flashes
- Memory loss
- Sinus infections
- A fever
- Trouble swallowing
- Muscle twitching
- Unpleasant sensations, such as burning or tingling (paresthesias)
- Vaginal bleeding.