Wellbutrin XL and Dry Mouth: An Overview
Dry mouth is one of the most common side effects of Wellbutrin XL®
). Studies have shown that up to 26 percent of people taking it reported dry mouth, compared to 15 percent who were not taking Wellbutrin
XL. This information comes from studies of the drug for the prevention of seasonal affective disorder (SAD).
Wellbutrin XL and Dry Mouth: Recommendations
If you are taking Wellbutrin XL and dry mouth occurs, things that you can do to help relieve it include:
- Sip water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sip water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier. It may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoid drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Don't use tobacco or alcohol; they dry out the mouth.
- Use a humidifier at night.
- Be aware of spicy or salty foods. These may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless, hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon or mint-flavored candies are good choices.
Wellbutrin XL and Dry Mouth: Final Thoughts
If you have a dry mouth while taking Wellbutrin XL and the suggestions in this article do not help, talk with your healthcare provider. He or she may be able to recommend treatment, such as artificial saliva. Also, depending on the severity of your dry mouth, he or she may also recommend that you adjust your Wellbutrin XL dosage
or try another depression