When it comes to Zoloft, alternatives to the medication may include such things as therapy, other antidepressant medications, and other treatments for depression. Examples of medications that may be used as alternatives to Zoloft include Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, and Marplan. Some people with depression may try alternative or natural therapies in place of Zoloft.
Zoloft Alternatives: An Overview
Zoloft® (sertraline hydrochloride) is a prescription medication used for the treatment of the following conditions:
- Depression (also known as major depression or clinical depression)
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD)
- Social anxiety disorder (social phobia).
Zoloft is part of a group of antidepressant medications called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). For most people, Zoloft is effective in treating their symptoms and most people tolerate it well.
However, as with all medicines, side effects can occur, or the medicine may not adequately control a person's symptoms. Fortunately, there are several alternatives to Zoloft for depression treatment, including:
- Other depression medications (also known as antidepressants)
- Electroconvulsive therapy
- Alternative (natural) therapies.
This article describes alternatives to Zoloft for the treatment of depression. For information on Zoloft alternatives for other medical conditions, see the following eMedTV articles: